The purpose of the Sober Truth Opportunity Program (STOP) is to prevent and reduce alcohol use among youth and young adults ages 12-20 in communities throughout the United States.
The program aims to:
(1) address norms regarding alcohol use by youth
(2) reduce opportunities for underage drinking
(3) create changes in underage drinking enforcement efforts
(4) address penalties for underage use
(5) reduce negative consequences associated with underage drinking (e.g., motor vehicle crashes, sexual assaults)
In addition, the STOP program builds on the Drug Free Communities (DFC) Strategic Plans.